According to reports, New York State recently voted to legalize the use of adult-use cannabis and expand the program for medical marijuana.
In March of 2021, the Marijuana Regulation and Taxation Act (MRTA) established an Office of Cannabis Management to implement a comprehensive regulatory framework for cannabis for medical, adult use, and cannabinoids.
In addition to expanding medical marijuana programs, this bill also expands hemp and cannabinoid hemp programs in New York State. Under the legislation, marijuana producers, distributors, retailers, and other parties involved in the cannabis industry are required to obtain licenses.
Additionally, there is a program to promote social and economic equity to assist people who have been disproportionately impacted by cannabis enforcement. An estimated $350 million in tax revenue will be collected annually, and 30,000 to 60,000 jobs may be created.
New York continues its medical marijuana program.
You should continue to seek guidance from a physician to manage your treatment. New York will continue to promote the Medical Marijuana program. As a result of the Marijuana Regulation and Taxation Act (MRTA), adult-use cannabis (also referred to as marijuana), as well as recreational marijuana, will be legal in New York State starting on March 31, 2021. By expanding medical cannabis in New York State, the new bill makes it more affordable and accessible.
Provisions of the MRTA call for expanding the Medical Marijuana Program. New York State Department of Health’s Office of Cannabis Management and the Division of Public Health have been working together to implement updates to the state-wide system that will allow practitioners to certify conditions not listed in its legislation until now.
It is mandatory for you to either have one of the qualifying conditions (now expanded) to receive a medical marijuana card as well as to provide proof of your NYS residency to obtain a medical marijuana certificate through a licensed cannabis doctor who is registered in NYS. A medical marijuana practitioner can certify patients with any condition they feel marijuana could help.
A doctor can buy or grow medical marijuana.
You indeed heard it right, and you must be certified by a registered cannabis doctor to obtain, cultivate, or consume cannabis products for medical purposes. Adult Use products are different from those approved for medical usage and are available for children and adults. People over 21 will have access to Recreational Marijuana products that do not require a medical marijuana card. Medical marijuana certification is highly recommended if you have any medical diagnosis, and you are advised to follow your physician’s guidance and advice.
Most New Yorkers must navigate the cannabis system independently, which can be intimidating and confusing for new cannabis users.
New York State’s cannabis laws are expected to change.
- Cannabis smoking and whole-flower sales are allowed.
- The supply limit has been extended to 60 days (previously 30 days).
- The right to certify patients with any condition outside the legislatively prescribed list will be immediately granted to medical practitioners.
- Effective immediately, you can now store and administer medical cannabis to up to five designated caregivers (previously two).
- Patients are no longer required to pay State fees.
- By the end of 2022, up to four additional medical dispensaries will be authorized per registered organization.
- It is now legal for individuals to possess up to 3 ounces of cannabis outside of the home (24 grams of concentrates) immediately.
- The bill allows homegrown (cultivation) for adult recreational use and is subject to the Medical Program regulations after 18 months of first sales. For adults over 21 years of age, 3 mature plants and three immatures are permitted. The maximum number of mature plants per household is six; the maximum number of immature plants is six.
Hopefully, now you have all the required information about the medical marijuana program in New York, allowing you to treat your medical conditions without any hassle.